Saturday, September 16, 2017

ETF and Entrepreneurship Course



I cant remember how it started but Amber who works with EFT (Educate the Favela) contacted me about spreading the word of this free entrepreneurship course going to be held for Rocinha residents. We organized to meet at the top of the hill. I remember that it was a Thursday afternoon. The project was to start the following Tuesday. Not much time to promote but enough for me to spread it through all my facebook groups.

Owning your own business is a huge sense of pride for favela residents. Courses like this usually cost money but through several NGO's and Networking Groups, like Bazzah, this was going to be a reality for many here who want this opportunity.

The course runs 16 weeks every Tuesday Evening from 6:30pm until 9-9:30pm.
For those who finish the course, theres the opportunity to receive grant money to help them start their own business.

My role in all of this? I'm not really sure as I already have my own business that is doing very well. But I was invited and if I can offer my help in any way, I will. With 10 years of running Favela Adventures there have been highs and lows but it has been worth it. I have learned through trial and error in regards to creative marketing ideas and dealing with employees. I hope my experience I can share with others and along the way, I hope to learn as much as I can through this course.

I have told the organizers that I don't mind taking part and helping if needed but I do not want to be given grant money. This should go to people who are in the beginning stages and really need financial help to start their businesses. I feel honored that people value my input!